A sampling of our greatest hits, discussions, and meetings
Thrilling Show & Tell Calls
Show & Tell Calls are weekly participatory discussions with fellow SocialMedia.org members on social media. Here are a few examples of the issues we’ve collaborated on:
- General Motors’ Christopher Barger, on how GM was using social media to respond to press and the public just three days after filing for bankruptcy
- Intel’s Bryan Rhoads & SAP’s Mike Prosceno talked about each company’s training program and offered an inside look on how they were scaling internal learning processes at their respective companies
- Toyota’s National Marketing Manager, Doug Frisbie, on how to manage social media during a crisis
- Foursquare’s Director of Business Development, Tristan Walker, on what brands need to know about working with the location-based social platform
- The NFL’s Director of Corporate Communications, Brian McCarthy, on how they manage their social media policies under a national spotlight
- Graco’s Kelly Voelker, talking about how social media was a helpful tool in taking the sting out of a product recall the previous week
- Twitter’s COO, Dick Costolo, on an inside look at their advertising platform
- Wikipedia’s Head of Communications, Jay Walsh, on how your brands can make the most of Wikipedia
- The FTC’s Richard Cleland on what their updates to the Advertising Guides mean to brands in social media
- Group discussion on how SocialMedia.org members were dealing with Facebook’s Community Pages, where members talked about what the social networking platform meant for brand positioning and how each might respond
Fantastic Instant Feedback discussions
Our Instant Feedback email list is where members get fast answers to tough questions they can’t ask anywhere else. Here is a small sampling of the wide range of topics discussed:
- How do you value followers on Twitter and Facebook?
- Do you have an example waiver you use for photo and video rights?
- How many Facebook accounts is too many?
- How are you tracking sales through social media?
- How is your social media team structured?
- How was your experience with [vendor name]?
- Who are your contacts at YouTube?
- Help! Every franchise in every country is launching a Facebook page. How do you manage this?
- What does your social media training program look like?
- Are there any vendors you would recommend for mobile social strategy?
Awesome Member Meeting topics
Member Meetings are incredibly productive, candid, and fun face-to-face collaboration with social media leaders like you. Each meeting covers a big theme or challenge members are facing. Past themes include:
- Defining your brand voice in social media
- Disclosure best practices
- Inviting the social media culture shift
- Building social media to scale
- Measurement and ROI
- Crisis management and social media
- Your employees and social media
- Corporate social media responsibility
- Proving the business case for social media
- Building buy-in for social media
Sit-down discussions with amazing guest speakers
We wrap up each Member Meeting with an informal discussion with a special guest. Past guests include:
- Howard Schultz, CEO, Starbucks Coffee Company
- Michael Dell, Founder & CEO, Dell
- Craig Newmark, Founder, Craigslist
- Hugh MacLeod, Cartoonist and Chief Creative Officer, gapingvoid
- Guy Kawasaki, Author, Reality Check
- Blake Mycoskie, Founder, TOMS Shoes
- Kara Swisher, Co-Executive Editor, AllThingsD